Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Reflections - I Don't Need to Know

Al and I had one of "those" discussions again this weekend. He's of the scientific persuasion when it comes to believing in pretty much anything. He needs proof. I, on the other hand, am always considering the "possibilities."  He lovingly refers to me as the ultimate conspiracy theorist, because I'm always dissecting events and theories, imagining all of the probabilities and possibilities.  While he doesn't exactly scoff at some of the things I like to believe exist - like multiverses and extraterrestrial life, I'm definitely much more of a possibilitarian and he's much more of a skeptic. 

Maybe we're both products of our environments and upbringings - the old adage of "only believe half of what you see, and none of what you read" was something that our generation was taught early on. We're both non-believers in our own ways, I guess.  I'll blame a little bit of it on the difference between right brain and left brain thinking as well, and I think that what we believe in is also determined to some degree by our personal experiences. That being said, think of things you believe in without actually seeing. Can you imagine not believing in love? Or that there is electricity flowing through the cords that power the computer you're on? Or that gravity exists? Or how a 95 ton airplane can get off the ground? If seeing is the only road to believing, there are quite a few things that simply don't have proof. 

The only thing that is pretty much for certain is that nothing is for certain. I know some of you are probably thinking that science has proved things, therefore they exist whether we can see them or not. I would have to counter that with the belief that science simply provides evidence in favor of fact. Things are only proven until they are disproved through the addition of information or experience. Yet, we still believe.

Given the choice between believing and needing proof, I would have to say that I don't need to "know" - believing is enough to keep me going... and, well... believing - at least in the things that are really important in my humble opinion.  I believe in love. I believe in free will. I believe in the human spirit or soul. I believe that there is a rhyme and reason to the plan of the universe, regardless of whether we understand it yet or not. I believe that the power to believe without proof is one of the most incredible gifts that I possess. I believe that there are many, many mysterious, wonderful things in this existence that can't be seen or proven... and I believe that I am blessed.

Believe - Wood Sign from AppalachianPrimitive
The poem below is an inspirational piece that I have up on the wall in my hallway - my "believe" wall, to be exact (Each wall has its own theme, because I like to nudge my brain and spirit with that sort of stuff.) It caught my eye today, and I thought, "Yeah, I want to share this...", so - here it is.

If Only We Believe
To believe is to know that every day is a new beginning.
It is to trust that miracles happen, and dreams really do come true.

To believe is to see angels dancing among the clouds,
To know the wonder of a stardust sky and the wisdom of the man in the moon.

To believe is to know the value of a nurturing heart,
The innocence of a child's eyes and the beauty of an aging hand,
for it is through their teachings we learn to love.

To believe is to find the strength and courage that lies within us
When it is time to pick up the pieces and begin again.

To believe is to know we are not alone,
That life is a gift and this is our time to cherish it.

To believe is to know that wonderful surprises are just waiting to happen,
And all our hopes and dreams are within reach...
"...If only we believe"

~Author Unknown

Have a wonderful week!
xo,

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails