Friday, July 16, 2010

Drivin' Down the Highway

It's Etsybloggers Carnival post time again (errr...uhhh...I've been a bit remiss in my team posts of late, so didn't want to miss this one!) - and one of the choices to write about was a dream vacation. This may be a bit mundane for some of you, but I think I would pass on the international travel to spend a few weeks just driving down the US Highway 101 from Seattle to San Diego! This is actually a trip that I had been involved in planning about 10 years ago, but life threw me a few curve balls and my plans never came to fruition.

I took a chance and hunted down my old notes on places to see, so I thought it would be fun to share a few stops along the way via some Etsy artwork! So hang on to your hat, and join me while I cruise along in my make-believe convertible enjoying the scenery!

Highway 101 begins in Olympia, Washington on the Olympic Peninsula which is also home to my first stop - Olympus state park. (Hoh Rain Forest Olympic Peninsula Washington print available from PlumLanePhotos on Etsy! All rights reserved)





Farther on down the coast, in Oregon, lies Ecola State Park - which offers some of the most breathtaking views on the Oregon coast. (Ecola State Park photo print available from brynnmctavish)










On into Northern California and the Redwood National and State Parks. Massive redwood trees, some reaching heights of five times the height of the Statue of Liberty and believed to be over 2000 years old create an aura of mystery and timelessness. (Great Grand Father Time . . . Original Fine Art Photograph 5 x 7 Redwood National Park, CA by ValleyLow Photography on Etsy)








A little farther south, and we're in Wine Country - the Sonoma and Napa Valleys, home to some of the most famous wineries in the world. Definitely time for a wine tasting stop and a tour of some of the wineries and vineyards! (Wine Country Grapes available at charrose on Etsy)




San Francisco is our next stop - not only to see the Golden Gate Bridge, but to visit some family and friends as well since my former in-laws live in the bay area, and my stepson lives in the city proper! (Golden Gate Bridge, Dusk, 8X10 available from LemonStPhotography )







Leaving US 101 for Highway 1, we continue south along the coast. Big Sur, the gem of the California coast, is our next stop for some photo ops of its craggy cliffs and crashing surf. (Piedras Blancas by tingstromphoto)





Arriving in the LA area, it's time to deviate a bit for a day at an amusement park... my choice? Magic Mountain since I love roller coasters! (Roller Coaster Life 1 from mingtaphotography .










Our last stop is San Diego... and a stroll along the beach at sunset. Like all good things, this trip would be over too soon, I'm sure. Hopefully someday I'll be able to make this dream vacation a reality! (Sinking Soon by LauraBScott on Etsy)

Thank you to AthenaWorkman for hosting this Blog Carnival and suggesting such a great topic! I'd love to hear about YOUR dream vacations!

2 comments:

BeadedTail said...

I think Highway 101 is one of the most beautiful drives in the U.S. and I hope you get to take your dream vacation there one day! We've been down 101 from Seattle to Santa Barbara but would love to travel it clear down to San Diego. Until that day happens, we'll continue to enjoy 101 closest to us on the Central Oregon Coast!

Unknown said...

The Redwoods are awesome! And so is Big Sur. Both are breathtaking! Hubby & I rode his motorcycle from here to The Redwoods years ago.... ouch, it was a long ride! But oce we started seeing those trees, we knew it was well worth it :)


You should totally do this trip ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails