Thursday, July 29, 2010

Delightful Discoveries - Right as Rain 07.29.10

I've come up with a new name for my daily features since I'll be mixing in some themes with my color features - I'll be calling them my delightful discoveries! Today's theme will showcase items with a rainy day theme, since the 136th annual Rain Day celebration is being held today in Waynesburg, PA. While the point of the ceremony is that it almost always rains in Waynesburg on July 29th (118 out of the last 136 years!), many visitors including some famous celebrities like Jay Leno, Muhammed Ali, and even Willard Scott, are willing to bet a hat that it won't. You can find out more about this local celebration by visiting their official site here!

Here in the Phoenix area, we're also expecting some rain today...although I'll believe it when I see it! This is one of the driest monsoons I think I've ever experienced in my 25 years in Arizona! Rain is a much more commonplace occurrence in your part of the world, I'm sure - and it serves as the inspiration for quite a few lovelies in the handcrafted arena. On that note - on with my "delightful discoveries"!

Grandpa Al here has a saying whenever the kids and I start talking about how big the grandkids are getting. He insists, "If you water them, they're gonna grow!" Well, I know all of my grandkids love water - for drinking, for playing in, and for splashing when bathtime arrives. It's easy to associate babies with water, and many baby shower planners often pair illustrations of babies with umbrellas for the "shower" of gifts! This adorable Baby Shower Domino Magnet with its red-cheeked little tyke holding an umbrella from AForestFrolic would make a wonderful baby shower favor for just such an occasion!










CausticThreads suggested this wonderful Je T'aime T-shirt featuring a couple embracing under an umbrella. Erica, the artist behind the shop, does all of her own artwork for her screenprints and appliques and I think her talents and attention to detail are definitely praiseworthy!









"Rain Rain Go Away" probably isn't a phrase you'll hear around my house any time soon, but in light of the flooding storms that have hit Wisconsin in the past week, I'm guessing that it's a phrase that Kim, the owner of TheApple on Etsy, and a resident of Madison, WI, has been using frequently! It's also the name she gave to these darling Umbrella Charm Earrings - perfect for those rainy days wherever you are!



Tomorrow, I'll be featuring some awesome items that are goldenrod in color. With autumn just a few weeks away for many of us, now's the time to start shopping for those rich fall fashion colors or to simply add some festive color to your "space". If you have a favorite goldenrod hued item in your shop or you'd like to nominate one of your favorites from another shop, just send me your links by clicking here . You'll be able to see my picks right here early Friday morning!

I'm hoping that you're enjoying whatever type of weather that makes you happy wherever you are, and that everything in your world is right as rain!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for including me in your post! We have been experiencing some much needed rain here in Albuquerque. My husband is at a conference in phoenix right now :)

PersimonDreams said...

Thanks so much for including me in your post! I do wish it would dry up a bit with all this crazy rain we've been having! The mosquitoes are going nuts!

Cute blog and thanks again!
~Kim

ViKotas said...

love the rainy day pic

Related Posts with Thumbnails