Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wishful Wednesday - Flutter By, Butterfly!

I love butterflies - and pretty much anything that even remotely resembles a butterfly or has a butterfly theme so I thought I'd share some butterfly themed goodies with you today on my Wishful Wednesday gift guide.  I'm adding in some interesting facts about these beautiful creatures so that you'll understand why I love them so! Enjoy!


There are about 20,000 known species of butterflies, but only about 750 species of butterflies live in the United States and Canada... and - there are more types of insects in one tropical rain forest tree than there are in the entire state of Vermont!


Blue Bowmans Root 18 Inch Giclee on Silk Accent Pillow
from PrairieMoonCreations


It used to be believed that the colors on a butterfly's wings were simply created by pigmented scales. Scientists have recently discovered that butterfly wings are covered with tiny gyroid structures which diffract light like a crystal.



Butterflies “smell” with their antennae and “taste” with their feet.


Ceramic NANA Dragonfly Trinket Dish
from DGordon








Butterflies weigh only as much as two rose petals, but can fly thousands of miles.



Butterflies range in size from a tiny 1/8 inch to a huge almost 12 inches.

Brindled Copper Butterfly Wrap Around
by CopperGardenStudio






Butterflies cannot fly if their body temperature is less than 86 degrees, but if you see one flying around in circles, it's doing its dance of love and looking for a mate!







The veins on a butterfly’s wing work like supporting bars in a kite.




Butterflies are a symbol of inspiration and hope in my life because I relate to their ability to transform through struggles... Do you have a symbol of inspiration or hope? What's yours?

xo,

2 comments:

Jenny said...

beautiful! I really like the ring.

Kitty said...

Interesting butterfly facts! And so many pretty things I wish I had money to buy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails