Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Incredible, Edible... Flower?

Nasturtiums are lovely flowers that make a wonderful addition to any garden, but did you know that they're also a great addition to your favorite salad too?!? The leaves, seeds and flowers of this plant are all completely edible with a slightly peppery taste that's somewhat similar to the flavor of watercress. In fact, during World War II, nasturtium seeds were actually ground and used in the place of black pepper when it became difficult to import peppercorns into Europe.

Native to South America, nasturtiums were originally introduced to Europe by returning conquistadors in the 16th century. The name nasturtium comes from the Latin words for nose (nas), and tortum (twist), referring to the typical person's reaction upon tasting the unexpected flavor of the spicy, bittersweet leaves.

If you're adventuresome and wondering how you might try nasturtiums as an edible - try these ideas! Mix the leaves and petals with sweeter greens for a refreshing salad or chop the leaves into potato salad and the petals into shrimp or crab salad. The complete flower makes a fun decoration for party cakes - and children tend to enjoy the idea of eating real flowers too!

I've selected some beautiful items from Etsy to share today - and all of them include nasturtium orange. What a great color for springtime!






This 1960's Party Dress from TheChurchOfVintage is a fashionable and flattering style that is sure to draw compliments. I love the detailing on the bodice!











Add this lovely pairing of plum blossom earrings and pendant in orange and grey from sofiamasri for a coordinated look that complements the texture and colors of the dress perfectly!






Complete the ensemble with this citrus-y large pleated tote from dittyPop and voila - a fun new look for spring or summer!










Toddlers love colorful clothes and  when she's wearing this darling White and Orange Flowers Dress from singmeamelody, your little girl will delight in the idea of her dress color matching mommy's!


Will mommy or daughter wear the matching woven ribbon headband from rockinribbonz?  There's an easy solution to that problem - just buy one for each of you! A great way to top off your look and hers.



I also came across a couple of items that fit this theme so perfectly that I just had to share them with you! Yarnchef offers this skein of Buttercream merino laceweight yarn aptly named "Nasturtium." I'm sure one of you crafty people already has an idea for the perfect project for this yarn, so what are you waiting for?  Buy it before it's gone!


This last piece is definitely one of those "ooooh... ahhhhh...." items for anyone who appreciates the ancient oriental art of cloisonne. This gorgeous nasturtium freeform pin from felicialiban is an heirloom quality piece set in 18k gold that is simply breathtaking.


Well, that's it for this one... I'd love to hear your thoughts on today's post, and I'd especially love to hear from anyone who's ever used nasturtium in some gourmet fare! And I'm sure all of these talented artisans would love to hear some thoughts on their work as well - so please leave a comment!


xo,


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love all the orange, such an uplifting colour :-)

Haven't used flowers in salads at all - have seen it done though, I'll have to give it a go.

Sophie said...

Ohhh, I really need to look into edible flowers. I love trying new things :)

Thank you so much for featuring my toddler dress. I appreciate it very much!

I shared with my fans on facebook too. I hope you get more followers.

Karen said...

I've had other edible flowers, but haven't tried the nasturtiums yet. I've seen them in one of the local organic food stores - think we'll have to give them a go too :)

Definitely agree about the energy of the color orange - it's just one of those cheery colors that is bound to make you smile!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Unknown said...

Nasturtiums are wonderful flowers, and they tend to take off like crazy!
As a kid I used to eat off the ends for a delightful bit of juice. When I grew up and finally noticed the flower again, it brought back all these lovely childhood memories of finding these flowers and enjoying them with my friends.
Not only are they edible, they are very hardy, and grow quickly to cover a trellis or a fence :)

Melinda said...

Never tried a nasturtium, just nibbled my first pansy a couple of years back! I love learning where the name came from, so funny. Your finds are lovley, all in such warm colors. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the little girl's dress!

Related Posts with Thumbnails