Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Reflections 01.23.11

We have a "rogue's gallery" in our hallway at home where we have all the family photos and other inspirational and thought provoking art displayed) and one of the pieces that hangs there is a simple piece of art with the following quote on it..."It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who you have beside you that makes it worthwhile." That quote is the inspiration behind today's Sunday Afternoon Reflection.

Did you ever wonder what drew you to those important voluntary relationships in your life? Your spouse... your best friends... and do you ever wonder why so many of these relationships eventually cool or even completely fail. I know that many of the things I found important in earlier relationships are certainly not what concern me at this stage in life... and as I listen to my mother at age 86 talking about her friends, I hope I am blessed with friends that are "in it for the long haul."

About 12 years ago, I ran across the following poem by a wonderful writer and spiritual mentor, who then called herself Oriah Mountain Dreamer. I was going through a period of tremendous upheaval in my life, and spending a lot of time reflecting on how I could avoid people and situations that were toxic and even harmful. Oriah's Invitation asks those questions we all should really ask... the ones that touch on who a person truly is and their relationship with life, rather than their outward appearance, or the "things" they have in life. I hope you enjoy The Invitation, as well as the wonderful items I'm featuring alongside the words. Please feel free to click on any of the pictures to be taken to the shops where you can learn more about them. If you'd like to learn more about Oriah, please be sure to visit her website as well.

The Invitation
by Oriah



It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for...
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.








It doesn't interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love,
for your dreams,
for the adventure of being alive.










It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow;
if you have been opened by life's betrayals,
or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain.













I want to know if you can sit with pain ~
mine... or your own,

without moving to hide it or fade it or fix it.








I want to know if you can be with joy ~
mine... or your own;

if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.



It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself;
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul;
If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.







I want to know if you can see Beauty,
even when it is not pretty every day;
And if you can source your own life from its presence.









I want to know if you can live with failure ~
yours... and mine;
and still stand at the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon,
“Yes.”








It doesn't interest me to know where you live
or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair,
weary and bruised to the bone,
and do what needs to be done to feed the children.






It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.









It doesn't interest me where, or what, or with whom, you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.










I want to know if you can be alone with yourself
and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.





I'm honored to feature the following items and shops in this article:
The Believe Necklace from StephieMc
FOOL 4 LOVE Artisan Silver Pendant from dzstash
Healing - Art print from shirae
Never Complain - fine art photography print 8 x 10 from chocolatnegro
Pure Joy from IntuitiveWhispers**
Hand stamped oxidized copper necklace-to thine own self be true by snappinstudio
It Is a Beautiful Life Art Print by artstudio54
Mothers Moon print from dkjart
Longing for Love Art Cards from missagirl
Kinship of flames-- 8x10 Original Signed Fine Art Photograph from kiwiokiestudio**
Fruit of the Spirit- Blue- 8x10 Digital file from DIYShoppe
Solitude's Beach from KGKards**

xo,

**Denotes an undiscovered or underdiscovered shop!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails