Sunday, January 30, 2011

In Loving Memory...

My father-in-law passed away yesterday at the end of what Al and I often referred to as his "10th life" (referring to a cat with 9 lives, of course), having survived a myriad mix of health problems over the last 20+ years. My own father had passed away (at the same age and during the month of January, coincidentally) back in 1983 when I was 24, so being blessed with the men I also called "Dad" - my fathers-in-law, gratefully always brings loving, warm thoughts.

I'll miss Dad G... even though he was only part of my life for a short six and a half years. I had come to love our long distance conversations, as well as the albeit way too infrequent times we had been able to visit together face-to-face. Dad was a story-teller (Al has inherited that to a degree thankfully!) and loved to talk about "the old days", his life as a diner owner in Nanuet, New York, and especially his Jewish heritage. He was a man who was proud of his family history, wanted the best out of life, and wasn't afraid to say "I love you." Every time we spoke, I'd ask how things were, and he'd respond with a cheerful "Any day I wake up in the morning, stretch my arms high and don't touch wood, is a good day," and he'd always end the conversation with a "Take care...I love you, sweetie." Yes, I will miss him... And Dad, I realize it's still a good day... Love ya too!

Leonard Grosser 1932-2011


The Jewish culture and traditions hold the belief that "As long as we live, they too will live;
For they are now a part of us: As we remember them..."

At the rising sun and at its going down we remember them.
At the blowing of the wind and in the chill of winter we remember them.
At the opening of the buds and in the rebirth of spring we remember them.
At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer we remember them.
At the rustling of the leaves and in the beauty of the autumn we remember them.
At the beginning of the year and when it ends we remember them.
As long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us.
As we remember them.
When we are weary and in need of strength we remember them.
When we are lost and sick at heart we remember them.
When we have decisions that are difficult to make we remember them.
When we have joy we crave to share we remember them.
When we have achievements that are based on theirs we remember them.
For as long as we live, they too will live,
For they are now a part of us, as we remember them.

(~Gates of Prayer)

May your G-d always protect you, Dad, and keep you wrapped within the wings of his love...

xo,


7 comments:

Lisa in Canada said...

So sorry for your loss~ He sounds like a wonderful man who will be missed deeply.
Earth's loss is heaven's gain.
Take care, Lisa

Melinda said...

What a touching post. Thanks so much for sharing, he sounds like a lovely man.
Peace,
Melinda

Happybee said...

He really was a lovely man and I can imagine he will be missed so much!
warm hugs!

sarah said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

RJDesignHut said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

customteddys said...

Thanks for sharing with us the blessing of his life on you. I am honored to read this post today.

YourDailyJewelsBLOG said...

Karen, This is such a lovely tribute to a man you so obviously had a lifetime of love for, in a relatively short time. I am sorry for your loss of him.

Related Posts with Thumbnails