Friday, August 27, 2010

Labor Day Traditions

Labor Day, that traditional end of the summer season, will be here in just a little over a week. So many things have changed over the course of my lifetime as far as this holiday.

When I was a child, it meant that school would be starting soon - nowadays, most schools (at least here in Arizona) have been in session for a while now and some schools even have full year schedules!

The coming of Labor Day also meant that it was time to put away summer whites and dig out the warmer clothes. The only whites you usually saw during the fall, winter, and spring seasons were those that appeared in the fur on collars or parka hoods, or maybe as a contrast color for those snowflakes adorning your bright red mittens or hat. Nowadays, pretty much anything goes!

Labor Day weekend was also a weekend to relax - to get away from the tedium of work, get together with family for a cookout and a friendly game of horseshoes or football, perhaps a ride into the mountains to enjoy the brisker air and to get a last glimpse of the green leafed trees before they began to don their fall foliage.

Seems like lately, more and more people are having to work on this weekend that used to be a celebration of the working class, leaving everyone less time to enjoy it! As for me, I'm sure I'll be writing a blog post, checking e-mails, answering inquiries, and spending at least part of my day working, but I'm also hoping to be able to do something fun as well. Workaholic that I can be, sometimes I need to remind myself that all work and no play makes for a pretty uninteresting life. My husband would probably say that it took an act of Congress to have Labor Day recognized as a federal holiday and it'll take another act of Congress to get me to not work on that day! We'll see :)

I know it's still over a week away, but what are your plans for the holiday weekend? I'd love it if you shared!

1 comment:

Candles by Nature said...

I'm on the same page as you...I'll most likely be working on Labor Day. I have to take advantage of whatever holidays I get so that I can get some candle-making time in!

Related Posts with Thumbnails