Monday, August 15, 2011

Mixed Bag Mondays - Koyaanisqatsi of Handmade

A little less than a decade ago, I was introduced to an amazing film titled Koyaanisqatsi. Consisting solely of images and a soundtrack, this film illustrates its creator's take on the term koyaanisqatsi, a Hopi Indian word that means "life out of balance" or "a state of life that calls for another way of living" and refers to their belief that we are in the end days of the Fourth World - an age when technology creates a need for mankind to refocus its direction back to balance with nature or face the destruction of life as we know it. I'll admit, I often think about where we are headed, and I take to heart the need to periodically re-examine the way I do things, because so many facets of life do periodically call for another way of living them. Figuring out exactly what we need to focus on to achieve our life's dreams, balance and raison d'etre is something I think we all need to do occasionally... and something I will be doing in the immediate future both in my personal world and my business.  The business of handmade is amazingly complex, driven by changes in society, economics, technology, and of course, everyone's emotional reactions to those changes. Trying to keep up with all of those variables can be formidable without goals and the strength to focus energy on doing what it takes to find that perfect balance.

With that mindset in place, I thought I'd share some interesting items that illustrate focus - and how much of a role it can play in our perceptions of the world around us!  Enjoy!




No, it's not your eyes...

Focus Pinback Button by BarrelofMonkeys








 We can all use a little more...









Almost can't see the ocean for the reeds... but still amazing!

In and Out of Focus
from mylittlepixels








Sometimes you have to look real close...







But it's all about perspective...








xo,

1 comment:

Annie said...

Thoughtful post, Karen. These kinds of things have been on my mind of late as well so reading this is kind of amazing - and helpful.

And yes, an incredible movie. Would be worth watching again.

Dough, Dirt & Dye
Empty On the Inside

Related Posts with Thumbnails