Monday, August 30, 2010

Delightful Discoveries - Nights in White Satin 08.30.10

Nights in white satin, never reaching the end,
Letters I've written, never meaning to send.
Beauty I'd always missed with these eyes before.
Just what the truth is, I can't say anymore.

'Cos I love you, yes I love you, oh how I love you.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love, and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is gray and yellow... white
But we decide which is right
and which is an Illusion
~Nights in White Satin, Justin Hayward/Graeme Edge, Moody Blues

I'm not sure why, perhaps it was because my mother's wedding gown had been white slipper satin, or because at all of the weddings I went to as a child, there was satin everywhere... or maybe because silk and satin lingerie and satin sheets were all the rage in my early married life, but I've always associated silk and satin with romance and true love shared.

Nights in White Satin was a song that's been a favorite of mine since I was a young teen, and would become at one point much later in my life, a special loving reminder of a love lost way too soon... and also a reminder of the importance of "getting on with life" without looking back with regret to what had become an illusion. Still, whenever I hear the song on the radio, a part of me smiles wistfully for what I once had, and another part of me smiles for where my life is now and the newer love that makes my days once again happy and full. White is a symbol of celebration and joy, and since satin symbolizes romance, well - you can probably understand why I selected that title for today's feature!

I received nominations for some amazing whites... and as you're likely to have already guessed, a number of them were wedding related. So, I'll be showing off the wedding themed items first, and then showing off some great around the home type items.

I have a fascination with steampunk and the whole retro-futuristic feel of the genre, so when I saw this amazing steampunk gown, I immediately started searching thru some of my nominees for the perfect accessories for a steampunk wedding! Here's my selections for this fantastic theme-


Baby Octo from birdzNbeez
Rena Koh Raw Silk Couture Bridal Gown from MySmittenVintage**
Small Cream/White Purse/Crochet Overlay Eco Friendly from NeedlesAndKims

With today's trends towards less formal wedding styles and weddings being held in so many different locations, I love seeing a return to some of the shorter bridal wear styles that were trendy back in the 50's. Still very feminine, romantic, and special, these allow for a greater freedom of movement and the tea length styles are perfect for outdoor and afternoon weddings no matter where they're held. These are my choices for a sweet afternoon wedding - and they'd be great for a second wedding as well since many second time brides don't feel comfortable in a long formal gown. Such a demure look!


Bridal Cosmetics Make Up Wristlet Zipper Pouch from KnitzyBlonde
Acacia - Organza Tea Length Bridal Gown from ellanacouture
Chloe - Sterling Silver Necklace with Pearls and Crystal from MWElegance

Lastly, can't forget about the ring bearer and flower girl -


Ring bearer pillow from ourhometoyours
Little Girls Tulip Pinafore Size 5 White Jacquard Floral Dress from TexstyleTextures

White is also popular beyond the wedding ceremony - in our jewelry, in our decor, and (oh yum) even in our choices of decadent treats. (Be patient, you'll see!)

White jewelry complements virtually any color, making it indispensable in your jewelry wardrobe!


Snowballs - Frosty White Lucite Sterling Silver Earrings from SilverSmack
Spirit ...White Long Necklace from divinalocura
White Moonglow Ring in Silver - By the Light of the Silvery Moon from MysticWynd

And as an accent color, white goes with virtually any wall color or decor theme to help the primary colors and themes "pop", making it perfect for virtually any area of the home...



Keep those earrings sorted in your bedroom or vanity area with this upcycled distressed Shutter Earring Holder from littlestgiftshop.






While this would make a beautiful christening blanket, it'd also be a beautiful lap blanket for those coming chilly winter nights or mornings. From veryverdant, the Gracie blanket.





Brighten up a dark hallway or a small room with one of these stunning photo prints... and grace your next dinner get-together with this stunning vintage bowl...


White Fuji Mum Flower from PictureItCreations
Tree of Life from filigreephotos
Fire King GOLD SHELL Vintage Swirl Vegetable Bowl from bythewayside

and when all your shopping is done, (here comes the YUM!) indulge your tastebuds in some of this scrumptious looking decadence!
White Chocolate and Almonds - All Natural/No preservatives from nikid

Romance, versatility and utility, decadence. My work is done here. For today. I'll be looking for some sky blue items for tomorrows feature, so lend me a hand in my search by by clicking here to e-mail me the link to the page of the shop where I can view some lovely sky blue items!

Have a wonderful Monday and I hope the beginning to this week is perfect!


** (this is my new designation for an undiscovered/underdiscovered shop of the day!)

8 comments:

NeedlesAndKims said...

A beautiful tribute to white and its many connotations! I found tears springing to my eyes as I read this post. And I just listened to a long version of "Nights in White Satin" two days ago, so my heart was primed to continue on the path of reflection. You have a gift with words! Thank you for including my purse with all these beauties.

Jaci said...

I love that song, too! Thank you so much for sharing it's meaning for you.
And thanks for featuring my bowl with these stunning items :)
Jaci
ByTheWayside

Very Verdant said...

This post was very touching and all the tributes in white were just as beautiful. Thank you for featuring my blanket.

Sonja

ourhometoyours said...

what a great feature. thanks for including us!

shauttra said...

What a wonderful mood and collection! Thanks a lot for featuring our print!!!

Liga

Unknown said...

Lovely white items and I love that song! Thanks for featuring my Snowball Earrings.

ViKotas said...

Moody Blues were one of my favorites.
I really liked those snowball earrings.....nice and frosty.Also, the crocheted overlay purse was just beautiful. I always enjoy your pics and the personal quality of your blog.

Laura said...

What a lovely post. I like the part about "getting on with life" and I love the items you have here. That first dress is amazing! It's all so beautiful. Thanks for including my shutter.

Laura
The Littlest Gift Shop

Related Posts with Thumbnails