Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What is YOUR Fear Factor?

I'll admit it, I have a few phobias. I hate stinging insects like wasps (Spheksophobia), I have a mild case of fear of unfamiliar or uncertain places (Agoraphobia), and I also have a pretty pronouced fear of falling from high places (Basophobia + Hypsiphobia) - although it's not the height that bothers me, or even the falling...it's that sudden stop when I reach the bottom!

My daughter has a fear of clowns (Coulrophobia) and a fear of the Red Robin Restaurant Mascot (couldn't find the name for THAT phobia). My husband, the Great WOO, somewhat admits to a fear of being alone (Isolophobia) - I guess now I know why he keeps me around [wink]. My late husband had a fear of eating mushrooms (Mycophobia) - he swore that eating mushrooms was the leading cause of death, proven by the fact that everyone who had ever eaten or will eat a mushroom will eventually die. Could never argue with his logic, LOL.

Ok, I'm starting to sound like Lucy van Pelt of Peanuts fame, talking about phobias in A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I've been told that the best way to get over your fears is to face them, gradually desensitizing yourself by exposing yourself to fearful situations in small doses. So, I'll help those of you with a few of the more common fears, by giving you some small safe exposures to some wonderful items from Etsy. While you might find them downright creepy, for others they are amazing works of art. Enjoy!




This lovely piece may be the cure for your Arachnophobia (fear of spiders)
Seduce a Vampire - available from dismissie at Etsy





My sister (Hi Diana!) has Ophidiophobia (fear of snakes). Maybe we should get her this totally innocuous but really beautiful wooden sculpture for her birthday in December!

Garter Snake - available from SandraHealy







Last but not least, maybe mom would just be being cruel, but do you think owning a pair of these adorable little red robin earrings might help my daughter Angela with her fear of that restaurant mascot? Who knows, maybe their mascot is afraid of seeing their likeness made into jewelry! (Wonder what that fear would be called! )

ROBIN earrings - available from kamomechan on Etsy


There is definitely something for everyone on Etsy - so no matter what style or theme or medium you're looking for, you'll probably find it there! Don't be afraid to give it a try! (Yes, there is phenomenon of being afraid to online shop, but it hasn't been officially assigned a phobia name yet!

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

What a cool post! Heights is the worst for me! I can't stand on the 2-story balcony of my Dad's house without having a panic attack. We went to the grand canyon once and I refused to look over the edge. Skydiving is something I NEED to do to get over the fear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails