Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday Afternoon Thoughts

So... how are you spending YOUR Saturday? Trying to play catch up on all those to-do list things that just never seem to get done? Cleaning, shopping, trying to get the kids interested in something so you can get things done? Or maybe you're one of the lucky ones and everything's in place and you're just trying to figure out how not to die from the boredom!!

Me? I just got back home from a morning and afternoon of amazing busy-ness!

It all started this morning with my 18 month old granddaughter's first fashion show! My daughter was out shopping earlier in the week with her two little girls and they were passing through Nordstrom's on their way to the car when one of the salesclerks commented on how adorable Kennedy (my granddaughter) looked with her hair up in bows. My daughter is one of those moms who just loves dressing up her girls with bows and little jewelry baubles. Before you know it, they had recruited my granddaughter to appear in their children's spring fashion show which was this morning. Needless to say, all the kids were adorable with a wide range of "styles" and attitudes of everything from extremely shy to strutting their stuff to totally demure. My granddaughter is a ham and loves to be the center of attention, so they had no trouble getting her to take her walk down the ramp... getting her to come back was a little harder. Ahhh, to be young and secure and uninhibited! What a great way to start a Saturday!

After a brief stop back home to let out our dogs, my husband suggested that we go over to the gem and jewelry show here in town at Westworld and see what we could see. I immediately started to say no, that I had too much to do around the house (my usual Saturday banter), but it's been kind of a rough week for both of us and since he loves to go supply shopping with me, we ended up spending the next three hours browsing the show floor, sifting through piles and piles of gemstones and beads and findings and just having a great time together. Sometimes I forget how much fun "work" can be. But then again, it reminded me that it's important to prioritize and remember what the important things in life really are.

That being said, I'm going to share one of my favorite pieces with you. It was written by Erma Bombeck - a humorist, a newspaper columnist, a novelist, and a truly incredible woman who I believe left an indelible mark on the heart of anyone who read her column. This particular piece was written shortly after she was diagnosed with a fatal kidney disease, but its words are so relevant to life in general. The next time you feel like you're overwhelmed, there's too much to do and too little time to do it, or you've forgotten how special the "little things" are... read this... and read it again... and do the things that will leave you with no regrets. Happy Saturday!

If I Had My Life To Live Over…

I would have
talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over for dinner even if the carpet was stained and the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the "GOOD" living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.
I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.
I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment realizing that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner."
There would have been more "I love you's" and more "I'm sorry's" ....but mostly, given another shot at life,
I would seize every minute, look at it and really see it, live it, and never look back.
~Erma Bombeck 1927 - 1996

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails